Abhorrent Wayfarer

and 2 unkown members

DISCOGRAPHY

Window Of The Eye demo - 2006

Into The Archaic - 2006

Of Stone And The Stars In The Sky demo - 2007

Hail Wind And Hewn Oak - 2008 *

bby_g 17.02.10 - 06:04am
I do love these guys, i find there is a soft and gentle feel to alot of their songs i have heard, a mellowness about them, but also with a depressive type nature to their songs as well. All those things mixed together, make them great to listen too, i personally really enjoy their music. :o) *

mielikki 21.04.10 - 11:17am
Yes they are great, listening to them now *

bby_g 21.04.10 - 11:50am
They are. What song u listening to? *

mielikki 21.04.10 - 11:59am
Not sure hehe It's from the latest cd. I'm in bed and can't see the cd *

bby_g 21.04.10 - 12:03pm
lol.GIF oh ok then *

mielikki 22.04.10 - 04:29am
OF STONE AND STARS IN THE SKY

Until the end, the end of days,
we shall leave, the weak behind.
Those of strength shall suffer none.
Our pride of will shall be our guide

No man could possess the strength,
no student of faith could comprehend,
the ancient and unending will,
of stone and stars in the sky

I look down upon those on their knees,
those who journey to a distant land.
Their Zion, their Holy Land,
who say we'll burn,
with the flesh of our fathers and children,
rot and burn...

from absence and into absence *

mielikki 22.04.10 - 08:20am
OJDSBQJOQ1gI9PFHQFJV.jpg *

bby_g 22.04.10 - 03:32pm
I love the cover :o) *

mielikki 22.04.10 - 07:57pm
I read a reviewer describe this band as a raw DIY recorded hybrid of early Ulver, Opeth's first 2 albums and Agalloch. Sounds a bit like that to be honest *

mielikki 23.04.10 - 04:42am
TMuFQJKDOC1W8v74XaLb.jpg *

aenglisc 24.04.10 - 02:28pm
Think i could enjoy these from reading this alone, think Mielikki had mentioned them to me before, but ive been amiss about hearing them *

aenglisc 24.04.10 - 02:31pm
Appears they felt need f a change in font for their logo. I prefer the more traditional caligraphic one *

mielikki 25.04.10 - 06:38am
Not sure if you would appreciate the vocals of this band, but songs like Revisitation you would like *

aenglisc 26.04.10 - 12:24am
In what sense, style or content? *

mielikki 26.04.10 - 01:59am
Style. Or the production for that matter. The acoustic sections I'm sure you'd love though *

aenglisc 26.04.10 - 06:46am
Ah. I see, one of those heavy and raw actslol.GIFmight stil gave a little listen *

mielikki 6.05.10 - 05:23am
WRITTEN FOR SONIC FRONTIERS IN 2009

Although Maine is not exactly known as a hotbed of underground metal, one of the most pleasant blackened surprises I've come across in a long time just so happens to hail from this isolated state. The mysterious quartet known as Falls of Rauros create epic yet earthy compositions that owe equally to the cascading fuzz of prime Burzum and the unsettling neofolk of the likes of Sol Invictus or Death in June. Their sophmore recording Hail Wind And Hewn Oak, is a musical ode to the natural beauty of their surroundings and a steadfast rejection of the encroaching modernism that threatens it. I could write volumes about this stellar release, but deciding it would be much more insightful to go straight to the source, I caught up with Falls of Rauros spokesman Aaron via email to discuss the bands singular approach

SONIC FRONTIERS - How did Falls of Rauros get started? What was the initial inspiration behind the bands approach?

It began with just two of us. The intent upon our creation was to play more of a blackened neofolk. We would come up with ideas and record them on the spot, very loose and rather formless, semi improvisation if you will. This took place in a small unheated shack of sorts in our home town. We made use of whatever equipment we had at the time and recorded in a primitive manner. We quickly began to incorporate more black metal into our sound, which led to a series of recordings now compiled as Into the Archaic. Everything during that period was spontaneous and scarcely rehearsed

SONIC FRONTIERS - There is little to no information available about the individual members of Falls of Rauros. Why the need for such secrecy?

I wouldnt necessarily call it secrecy for us, as we have never gone to great lengths to remain anonymous. I would call it insignificance. Everything we have had to say thus far has been conveyed through our music. Names and faces in no way aid us in accomplishing what we wish to accomplish. Without live shows or interaction with any scene there seems to be little point in exhibiting ourselves with countless photos and personal biographies. Whether or not we succeed, we strive to create music that represents worlds untouched by man. Worlds not yet devoured

SONIC FRONTIERS - Black metal and this idea of communing with/embracing nature and rejecting modernism have long been intertwined. Why do you think this is, and what is it about the natural world that you find inspiring?

The natural world is a place of great strength. Strength beyond that which humans could hope to achieve through modern trappings. There is an undeniable wisdom to be found there, yet we ignore its counsel and have ultimately forgotten its teachings. Black metal is an art form which inspires that strength and wisdom to return to us again. The ideal has always been there, we have simply forsaken it. Mankind clumsily looks for answers elsewhere while the world around us contains them. It is a well of inspiration

SONIC FRONTIERS - It seems like the US metal underground is finally starting to embrace the naturalistic and Pagan atmospheres that have for so long been integral to many European bands. Do you consider Falls of Rauros to be a Pagan band? What does Paganism mean to you, if anything?

Paganism definitely has a place in our lives, though none of us practice authentic or traditional Paganism. We live Godless lives. We respect and appreciate the Earth we are bound to and understand our place in this world. The active practice of Asatru or any Germanic Paganism would not feel sincere or genuine for us. I suppose you could say we share a Heathenism of the soul more so than anything else. It is ingrained in us

SONIC FRONTIERS - On your Myspace page, you state that Falls of Rauros sounds like drastic, radical change, the upheaval of the modern world. For in these dire times there is only collapse to strive for. Can you expand or elaborate upon this statement and what it means to the bands approach and beliefs?

It is no secret that for thousands of years human beings have believed themselves to rule this world. That could not be further from the truth. We have attempted to control our environment, kill off our competitors, assimilate perfectly functional yet ''barbaric'' cultures, and create these processed pseudo foods to support an ever growing population. Monotheistic religions have only served to exacerbate this problem. Their teachings make humans out to be superior, Godlike beings and the Earths existence solely to provide for our flourishing. All these years later, we are lost. We have forgotten how to live as we once did, we have been weakened to the point of hopelessness without technology to assist us. Civilized societies across the world work toward our end. No politician, law, program or service will undo this. They thrive on our weakness, if we could take care of ourselves they would cease to exist entirely. I could go on and on, but what Im saying is rather self evident. It all must be done away with if we truly wish for change

SONIC FRONTIERS - Ive always viewed black metal as another form of folk music, or at the very least as having many parallels with that genre. Do you agree with this statement to any extent?

I agree and disagree. Black metal was initially very much a form of heavy metal, with clear influence from punk. It was not only a rebellion against watered down mainstream music but a rebellion against the rising popularity of safe sounding, unoriginal bands. However, traditional folk music (like black metal) is often characterized by a rejection of modernism, convenience culture and the like. It has the ability to conjure feelings and instincts buried deep within us the same way black metal does. What Im saying is the origins of black metal seem to be more inspired by rebellion than traditonalism and culture, but the paths of these seemingly unrelated genres soon crossed and have been inseparable since. Anyway, Im not one to say what black metal is and is not, so Ill leave it at that

SONIC FRONTIERS - Hail Wind and Hewn Oak has a very warm, natural sound that perfectly suits the music. How and where was the alb*m recorded?

The alb*m was recorded entirely in our home town. We utilized two locations however, beginning in the same room that we recorded our demos in. We recorded under very similar conditions as before. The same sub par equipment was used and is responsible for the raw drum sound you hear. Much of the rest of the alb*m was recorded nearby with a close friend of ours. Almost no sound checking took place, and the whole process was done rather quickly. No particular tone was desired other than a natural sound, and we figured this could be acheived only by recording quickly and without perfecting each aspect

SONIC FRONTIERS - The alb*m often ebbs and flows between fierce black metal and earthy, folk-influenced sections. How did the acoustic guitar come to be such an integral part of your sound?

Perhaps I answered this somewhat in the first question, but I can elaborate. When we initially began playing together we were experimenting with blackened neofolk. There was far less metal influence and acoustic guitar was used more frequently than electric guitar. As weve added more metal into our sound weve used fewer acoustic sections than in the past, but that aspect has never been pushed into the background. Now we just try to find a balance in the individual compositions and whatever mood is intended for them. In short, acoustic guitar was integral to our sound since the very beginning

SONIC FRONTIERS - Furthermore, the overall pacing and sequencing of the alb*m demands that it be listened to as a whole. Was this intentional when composing the material for the album?

Its interesting that you brought this up. While the majority of the songs were composed during the same time period, To Witness Existence is actually a reworking of a song that appeared on our first demo and Into the Archaic. We altered the song a bit to keep the instrumentation on Hail Wind And Hewn Oak consistent. Maybe because our vision and intention has never changed the alb*m just came out that way. We just hoped it would work I suppose

SONIC FRONTIERS - How would you describe your overall approach to songwriting? Is there a main composer in the band or is Falls of Rauros a more collaborative effort?

The music we have released so far is split in half you could say. The first half being Into the Archaic and back. This is material written and performed by two of us, the founding members. I use the term written loosely since all of the songs were barely rehearsed and partially improvised. That would be why those songs are very loose. Since the Of Stone And The Stars In The Sky demo there have been four of us contributing to the sound. The majority of the material is written by the two of us still, but there is plenty of collaboration and freedom of ideas with all of us. To this day the line up is not completely solidified and changes will be heard in the future

SONIC FRONTIERS - Geographically speaking, Maine is rather isolated from the bulk of the United States and isnt really known for producing many metal bands. How does this relative isolation play into your musical approach?

Our location has a profound effect on the music we create. Maine is an absolutely beautiful state and is very much isolated from most of the country. There is a particular spirit in Maine unlike anywhere else in the world, and a lot of people here hold our traditions in high regard. Almost 90 percent of Maine is blanketed by forests and is thus the most highly forested state in the nation. It would be inconceivable for this not to affect the sound and mood of our music. We are surrounded by subtle and authentic beauty. To add to these factors there is virtually no metal scene here. We havent been playing shows, or even conversing or socializing much with like-minded musicians here. There dont seem to be any. We are left to ourselves to do what we will and its sort of nice. The focus of attention lies elsewhere up here. People seem to like folk a lot up here. Theres some good free folk

SONIC FRONTIERS - Hail Wind and Hewn Oak has been out for just about a year now. Do you have plans to release any new material in the near future?

Yes in fact we do have some releases in the works. Firstly, we will be doing a very small run of cassettes in the next month or two. One will be the Hail Wind And Hewn Oak album, and the second will be a compilation entitled Revisitation. It will contain all of our material from 2007 and back. This will include the Into the Archaic compilation as well as the Of Stone and the Stars in the Sky demo. This will be a brief opportunity for people to get these demos in a physical format since the cd versions have been out of print for quite some time. Both of these cassettes will have different artwork than the cd versions and will most likely be limited to around 60 copies each

Beyond that, we also have new material well under way. I will not go into too many details but somewhere down the road well have enough done to talk about. It will feature a different drummer than before, one who has made a name for himself with his own black metal project (of the highest quality, mind you). At this point no estimate can be made for a release date but soon enough there will be news of some substance

SONIC FRONTIERS - Do you have any plans to tour or play shows in the near future?

As of now there are no plans. We are not opposed to the idea but now is surely not the time. Various factors have kept us from venturing out for live performances and it has become somewhat of us. We are pretty well used to it. Weve played just a few shows here in Maine but the lack of bands to play with and appropriate venues make it not worth putting together. A performance in a typical bar or rock club would probably fall flat. When or if the time comes we wish for it to be sort of a gathering of kindred souls in an environment that glows with mysticism. Hopefully something of the sort can be arranged down the road

SONIC FRONTIERS - Are there any final words or thoughts youd like to add?

Thanks for these questions and the support youve given us. Its much appreciated *

bby_g 7.05.10 - 01:38am
Wow that was very interesting for me to read, as i do like falls of rauros alot. Very informative. Thanks mielikki great stuff *

mielikki 28.05.10 - 02:37am
My pleasure *

mielikki 28.06.10 - 04:50pm
music.GIF Listening to them at the moment. To me, they make the statement ''It's faults make it so much more beautiful'' very true *

mielikki 24.07.10 - 02:06pm
Been a rough night, so listening to calm my nerves *

aenglisc 24.07.10 - 08:27pm
From the words black metal, even with a dash of neo-folk, i wouldnt have thought them overly calming . .in an Opethesque vain? *

mielikki 24.07.10 - 08:41pm
I feel hints of Agalloch and Opeth yes, some even scream of Opeth, but with a raw black metal and DIY recording job *

aenglisc 24.07.10 - 09:08pm
Now in England the term DIY and also amateur have become almost a word to mock with. Sums up shoddy workmenship *

mielikki 24.07.10 - 09:31pm
Some would say this is shoddy. Me? I think this sounds NATURAL. The acoustic guitar almost overshadows the electric. It's hard to explain, but a lot of the time acoustic is playing over the top of electric *

aenglisc 24.07.10 - 09:36pm
Unusual, could it be by design rather than unprofessional? *

mielikki 24.07.10 - 09:38pm
It is by design. I could easily pick 'faults' on Into The Archaic but if I had the chance to change it, I'd leave it the same! *

aenglisc 24.07.10 - 09:43pm
Natural is a good thing, it still has creative passion showing, when things are polished and adjusted. .if not done right it can become too manufactured and preciece. .clinical i guess *

mielikki 24.07.10 - 10:06pm
Yeah, exactly what I mean. There's a saying

''You can polish a cr*p as much as you want but it's still going to be '' lol.GIF *

aenglisc 24.07.10 - 10:12pm
pmpl.GIFyeah. Theres a few versions of that *

mielikki 24.07.10 - 10:13pm
I think in music that saying is a huge truth yes.GIF *

aenglisc 24.07.10 - 10:20pm
True. But least people turning out are trying. .more than i can say. . .I cant really knock em for it if its not my thing . .just gets daft when other people decide theyre going to try sell it to you/for you and kill what mightve been *

aenglisc 24.07.10 - 10:25pm
Liklihood theres good artist knowingly turning out cr*p cause someone told them its 'cool' or it sels well, i cant knock them either and call them 'selouts' because at least theyre doing a little of what they like. *

ruoska 25.07.10 - 05:56am
I've heard the you can't polish a version of that saying. But they busted that myth in Mythbusters by actually making lion dung polished. Off-topic. *

aenglisc 28.07.10 - 10:51am
lol.GIF surely itd have t be petrified

version im familiar with is 'you cant polish a , but you can make s**t shine' *

mielikki 29.07.10 - 12:31am
Pouring rain outside, decided to listen to this band *

* VisionOrVoid Forum

Search:
topics replies

* VisionOrVoid

Create Your Own App Store

topTop
groupsGroups