DISCOGRAPHY

The Isle Of Disenchantment - 2001

The Sceptor Of The Ancients - 2003

Symbols Of Failure - 2006

(Ob)servant - 2008 *

mielikki 21.07.09 - 04:36am
SCEPTOR OF THE ANCIENTS
written by redleader

Before listening to this alb*m (or it's predicessor) I stumbled across a biography of Psycroptic. These guys were born and raised in Tasmania and thus were out of touch with the metal scene for most of their lives. They sounded like genuine musicians looking for their big break. Well, this band is now a dominating name in the land downunder

When I first put this alb*m on, I was blown away. I guess the best way is to break it down into it's components -

The production is flawless. Simply crystal clear. In contrast with some death metal fans who feel that a lesser production yields a more brutal sound, I like my death metal to sound good and clean

The vocalist can do a lot. He moves from a deep growl to a high pitched rasp and vice versa practically every five seconds. I especially like the higher vocals as paired with the drumming, which is insanely technical, establish a good groove

If there's anything that draws me to death metal most it is the drumming. Scepter Of The Ancients has some of the most technical insane drumming known to mankind. This guy's talented, folks. Double-bass isn't a luxary with this band, it's the norm, but not in a boring way. It's really fast. At times so fast that you can barely tell that there are, in fact, seperate strikes

Guitar and bass are constant on this album, although somewhat supressed. The only thing seperating this alb*m and a 10 is the lack of soloing. I'm not even sure they could solos and still keep within their style. Possibly throw in a few instrumental sections, guys?

I'd definately recommend this one to anyone into thrash, death, or black metal. I'm anxiously awaiting any new matertial from these guys. If they continue to improve, they just might become death metal Gods

9.9 out of 10

TRACKLIST

1. The Colour of Sleep

2. Battling the Misery of Organon

3. Lacertine Forest

4. Psycrology

5. Skin Coffin

6. Cruelty Incarnate

7. The Valley of Winds Breath and Dragons Fire

8. A Planetary Discipline

9. The Scepter of Jaar-Gilon *

mielikki 23.02.10 - 08:54am
Such a great band. I think the first two albums are the best *

bby_g 23.02.10 - 09:16am
From the songs i have heard i really like these guys. The instrument that stands out to me and dominates would definatly be the drums, i dont know alot about drums but they sound full on in their music, i do like this effect. Between the way he uses his vocals andthe sound of how the drums are used i find it mixes really well. :o) *

mielikki 23.02.10 - 09:30am
What is your favourite song? *

bby_g 23.02.10 - 09:38am
I dont have a particular favourite as i like them all but top 3 would prob be. Lacertine forest. Skin coffin and the colour of sleep. What about you? *

mielikki 23.02.10 - 10:28am
Lacertine Forest

Colour Of Sleep

Battling The Misery Of Arganon *

aenglisc 23.02.10 - 11:12am
constantly jumping from high and low vocal styles? i like mixed vocal, but that sounds odd *

mielikki 23.02.10 - 11:56am
The vocalist on the first 2 was amazing *

aenglisc 23.02.10 - 01:55pm
not my thing. its musically sound but im not over fond of that vocal style being so dominant just yet *

mielikki 26.04.10 - 02:36am
I'm listening to Sceptor Of The Ancients at the moment rocker.GIF *

mielikki 5.07.10 - 03:31am
I'm listening to them on my way home from work *

* VisionOrVoid Forum

Search:
topics replies

* VisionOrVoid

Create Your Own App Store

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits