LYRICAL THEMES - Patriotic songs, history, Norway

ORIGIN - Norway

FORMED - 2001

CURRENT LINEUP

Torbjorn Sandvik - All vocals and instruments

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Glittertind's releases contain many old patriotic and folk song covers

Glittertind has appeared on numerous Carolus Rex compilations

Torbjorn recorded Mellom Bakkar Og Berg and Evige Asatro at the age of 16 with no outside help

DISCOGRAPHY

Mellom Bakkar Og Berg - 2002
Evige Asatro - 2003
Heathen Soil demo - 2004
Til Dovre Faller EP - 2005
Evige Asatro / Til Dovre Faller compilation - 2009
Landkjenning - 2009 *

borae 14.06.09 - 11:39am
Many old patriotic covers? Of various nations? *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 11:40am
Just of Norway *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 01:20pm
I'm going to add the liner notes of some Glittertind releases *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 01:36pm
On Lindisfarne Island outside England in 793 was the first attack by Vikings. After this attack, many other attacks on different places followed. From history books we can mainly read that they did this because of their 'barbaric culture', but new theories suggest that the attacks may have been carried out because many kings wanted to Christianize Scandinavia at the time. As a reaction, the Vikings wanted to say ''Stay out of our countries! We are Heathens, and we will not obey these Priests!'' The main theme of this album, Evige Asatro, is about the Christianization of Norway. In 1030, Norway was finally captured by this religion. Those who didn't want to convert were killed. Sacred places were destroyed and Christians built churches on top of them. Christianity destroyed large parts of our roots and culture. Only pieces are left for us today *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 01:42pm
KARL DEN STORE

This song is about King Carolus Magnus who wanted to conquer all of Northern Europe and convert the Heathens to Christians. He was actually allied with the Pope in doing this. This man was probably one of the main reasons why the Viking attacks started *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 01:45pm
SONNER AV NORGE

This is a cover of the first ever Norwegian national anthem *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 01:50pm
EN STILLE MORGEN 1349

This song is about the Black Plague which reached Norway in 1349. It wiped out one third of Norway's population and our language vanished. This was because the literate were the main ones trying to help the ill, thus they were infected themselves and died. Norwegians back then spoke a language similar to what they speak in Iceland today. Now our language is a mix of Old Norse, German, Swedish and Danish *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 01:55pm
FJELLHEIMEN GIR MEG FRED

A tribute to the beautiful mountains of Norway! *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 01:58pm
OLAV DIGRE

A song about the leader who managed to Christianize Norway by lies, murder, threats and betrayal. Of course, this man is now hailed in many churches as a saint *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:02pm
NORDMANNEN

An old song about the struggle for life in the old days. They could move elsewhere but when the Spring came, there was nowhere else they'd rather be than in their fatherland *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:04pm
FROSTRIKET

To live in a frosty, cold kingdom can be tough *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:06pm
EVIGE ASATRO

A song about a Heathen warrior and his last battle against the Christians in 1030 *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:09pm
SE NORGES BLOMSTERDAL

Nature romantic lyrics about the Spring and the German melody Ein Jager Auf Kuffaltz make this song a brilliant sing along here in Norway *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:13pm
OM KVELDON

A song about the dark Autumn evening where loneliness and sorrow rules a house in the deep,foggy forest *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:17pm
NORGES SKAAL

A patriotic drinking song written in 1771. It was very controversial at the time because the Danes were the head of the union between Norway and Denmark at the time, and they didn't like the fact that the Norwegians were proud of their land and culture, thus it was banned until we got independence in 1814 *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:32pm
TIL DOVRE FALLER

Friends and kinsmen, Norway is celebrating 100 years of independence, therefore I have chosen to do an EP dedicated to the freedom fighters of the Viking age, sailers, farmers, the Norwegian working class and the ones who still stand strong and proud in these depressing times we have concerning welfare and labour in Norway these days. Our ancestors who lost their lives for our freedom must be crying wherever they are, when they see the majority of politicians under foreign rule by being part of the European Union. They are also that rude that they celebrate 100 years of freedom while working for the opposite

On Til Dovre Faller, I want to set freedom to govern your own land VS the European Union on the agenda. I am for a united and peaceful Europe, but the European Union is nothing but an ultra Capitalist organization who's goal is not to ensure the best for all people, but to make as much money for the rich

They also want free competition and to privatize public services such as hospitals and schools and it's the ordinary people that lose in the end

Well enough speech from me! Get a beer and enjoy the cd! *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:34pm
FOR NORGE, KJAEMPERS FODELAND

A segment of Norges Skaal *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:43pm
FLAUMEN GAR, I NOREG ER VAR

In Norway we have 2 official languages. The one for the city is based on upper class speech and the one for the countryside which is based on all our dialects. This song is a tribute to this Country Language. It's about being proud of who you are and where you come from. You don't have to take from Know-it-all city people *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:46pm
ROLANDSKVADET

An old war song from around the year 1000. According to Norse tradition, it was sung when men needed encouragement and strength. It was song by the Normans before the Battle Of Hastings in 1066 *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 02:49pm
NORGE I RODT, HVITT OG BLATT

This is a traditional song sung every Independence Day in Norway. The lyrics were written in a war camp in World War II. Their dream of freedom is reflected in this song and their dream came true in 1945. I dedicate my version in memory of them. NORWAY IN RED, WHITE AND BLUE *

borae 14.06.09 - 03:48pm
Not much of a union if you go about trying to trample national pride and banning songs. Speaking as a subject of the UK. *

mielikki 14.06.09 - 04:26pm
yes.GIF Very true Borae *

b_doll 14.06.09 - 06:16pm
Nice stuff! grin.GIF *

pink.bbe 14.06.09 - 08:50pm
VERY INTERESTING grin4.GIF *

mielikki 28.10.09 - 12:44am
The latest alb*m has lost the Viking Rock sound and more toward folk metal chin.GIF Still good *

borae 29.10.09 - 05:30am
what? its an outrage!hmm3.GIF. still. curious *

mielikki 31.10.09 - 12:21am
You'd like it Borae *

borae 31.10.09 - 01:44pm
thanks Mielikki. ill look out f it when im next either on web or in h.m.v *

urvoice 31.10.09 - 10:36pm
I'm old (ould) if I want to be honest. this will take me some time to work out. but hey, never too old to learn *

urvoice 31.10.09 - 10:37pm
I'm now getting instructions, step by step, how sad is that ? *

mielikki 31.10.09 - 10:43pm
pmpl.GIF join the club urvoice. I had to get instructions to create the group *

borae 1.11.09 - 12:22am
ah. urvoice. whend you get roped in. *

aenglisc 20.07.10 - 07:03pm
Just nipped back in f a refresher, id forgotten the detailed liners, doesnt just tell you about the music, but the heart and history behind its creation. I like these type of posts the most. Sorry, but please dont take that as a putdown of the others *

mielikki 21.07.10 - 02:13am
Me too yes.GIF *

mielikki 23.07.10 - 04:55am
Listening to the Evige Asatro alb*m now rocker.GIF *

mielikki 8.08.10 - 07:13am
Listening to some at the moment. Norges Skal grin.GIF *

* VisionOrVoid Forum

Search:
topics replies

* VisionOrVoid

Create Your Own App Store

topTop